Starting your journey to pay off debt can be frustrating and unmotivating when you are trying to discipline yourself and change your spending habits. Discipline can be hard at times when you see things you want to buy or friends trying to invite you on vacation can make the finish line seem miles away.
When I started my journey, I did not follow through with my plan to pay off my debt. I let other things get in my way of securing a better future for myself and my family. If I would have continued my journey at the beginning of this year, I probably will be halfway to achieving my debt-free goal.
To help you while you are on your debt-free journey, I want to share with you six ways I stay motivated during my journey.
We will discuss:
- 10 Motivation Quotes To Inspire You While Paying Off Debt
- 10 Affirmations To Help You Complete Your Journey
- Setup A Morning Routine
- Creating A Vision Board
- Motivation Podcast and Videos
- Remember Your Why
10 Motivation Quotes To Inspire You While Paying Off Debt
Below you will find ten motivation quotes and pictures you can download to help you stay motivated on your journey to become debt-free.
1. “Your decisions from today forward will affect not only your life, but also your entire legacy.” – Dave Ramsey
2. “Pay off your debt first. Freedom from debt is worth more than any amount you can earn.” – Mark Cuban
3. “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” – Nelson Mandela
4. “We must be willing to let go of the life we’ve planned, to have the life that is waiting for us.” – Joseph Campbell
5. “Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid of only standing still.” – Chinese Proverb
6. “Earning a lot of money is not the key to prosperity. How you handle it is.” – Dave Ramsey
7. “The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” Lao Tzu
8. “Desire is the key to motivation, but it’s determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal – a commitment to excellence – that will enable you to attain the success you seek.” – Mario Andretti
9. “You are the only person who can truly change your life.” – Dave Ramsey
10. “If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.” Dave Ramsey
10 Affirmations To Help You Complete Your Journey
An affirmation is thinking positively and believing that you can achieve your goal and bring it to existence. Repeating affirmations daily can retrain your brain into believing that you can achieve your goal of becoming debt-free.
Here are ten affirmations you can use to help you through your debt-free journey:
1. I deserve to live debt free, so I can do everything I want to do in this life.
2. I always have more money coming in than going out.
3. I spend money wisely.
4. I am grateful to receive all the money I need.
5. I can achieve financial freedom.
6. I am worthy of becoming debt free.
7. I always have enough money to meet my needs.
8. I am grateful for the blessings I have and for those to come.
9. I am confident in my plan to pay off debt and will be financially free.
10. Wealth is a blessing that enriches my daily life.
Here is a printable copy so that you can pin this to your wall: 10 Affirmations While Paying Off Debt
Setup A Morning Routine
I know you are probably like, what does a morning routine have to do with me trying to stay motivated while paying off debt, but it actually has a lot of benefits. I learned of morning routines by reading the book “The Miracle Morning” by Hal Elrod.
The book teaches you to wake up early and complete a morning routine on a 30-day challenge. The morning routine will last for an hour, or you can adjust it to your schedule. The routine will involves six steps to complete, which are called Life SAVERS.
The acronym SAVERS means silence, affirmations, visualize, exercise, read, and scribe. You will complete each of these SAVERS steps in 10 minutes each. For example, you will start with silence, which means to meditate for 10 minutes. Next will be saying your affirmations out loud for 10 minutes. Next, you will visualize yourself achieving your goal for 10 minutes. Next, you will exercise for 10 minutes. Then you will read for 10 minutes. (I recommend you read a positive book) Then finally, you will scribe for 10 minutes, which means writing in a journal what you are grateful for, your thoughts, and how you feel.
You do not have to complete these steps in the order above. I like to exercise longer than 10 minutes, so I rearranged my steps to make exercising last because I usually exercise for 30 or more minutes. If you have a busy schedule in the morning, adjust the times to fit you. You can actually complete the SAVERS in 6 minutes, which is one minute per step.
A morning routine will help you set a positive tone for your day, gain more control of your day and the things you need to complete, gives you more time in the day, and, more importantly, help motivate you to achieve your goals.
Get more information on creating your morning routine: The Miracle Morning.
Creating A Vision Board
A vision board is a board with pictures, affirmations, dreams, goals that are used to motivate you to achieve your goal. It is used to help you stay focus, motivated, build your confidence as you visualize yourself being successful, and living your dream or goal.
You can create a vision board by using pictures that relate to the goal you are trying to achieve. This can be a picture of you, your family, or any picture that represents your goal. If you are using a photo of you or your family, be sure that you are happy in the picture, you want to see yourself happy achieving your goal.
You can also use affirmations, quotes, and words of encouragement to motivate you as well. Once you have created your board post in a place, you can see it daily to remind you of what you are working towards. You should also take a picture with your phone, so you can have it on you while you are at work or away from the house.
Motivation Podcast and Videos
Another way you can stay motivated is by listening to podcasts and watching motivation videos. You can download podcast apps in your app store and find motivation videos on Youtube. Here is a couple of podcast and videos that I recommend:
- The Dave Ramsey Show
- Achieving Your Goals with Hal Elrod
- The Motivation Movement
Remember Your Why
Lastly, when times get tough, you have to remember why you started. You started this debt-free journey for a reason and posting your why next to your bed, on your mirror, or somewhere you can see it every day will help remind you what you are trying to achieve.
The reason I started my debt-free journey, is to stop living paycheck to paycheck, discipline myself with money, and have a better future for my family.
You can use some or all of the methods used above to help you stay motivated. If you have any questions, please reach out to me by commenting below or my contact page.
I would like to know which motivation tip or tips are helping you. Please fill out my short survey that will take you only 1 minute. Thank you.